Online marketing information can change quickly This article is 10 years and 104 days old, and the facts and opinions contained in it may be out of date.
I’ve managed to pretty much bite my tongue on this contest that I think is pretty much a ridiculous publicity stunt combined with a juvenile p*ssing match, but I wanted to do add yet another ridiculous few megabytes of trash out on the web in support of Graywolf with his V7ndotcom Elursrebmem great idea to help kids with leukemia at St. Jude’s hospital.
I could probably get silly with creating some very spammy assistance for Michael, but I hope you will save me the trouble, and just link to him as well. Yes, GW will probably get some link love from this. No, he probably doesn’t really need it that badly that he would do it just for that.
Rand and many others have decided to link to Graywolf for the V7ndotcom Elursrebmem contest. Greg mentions that any winners that promise proceeds donated to charity will have their prizes sent directly to the charities which I think is a good call in case of other instances, but I have no doubt in my mind that GW is a man of his word.
Brief reasons I think SEO contests are a dumb idea:
- It openly exposes techniques that probably currently work for very little return
- It is a huge waste of SEO resources
- Don’t you have anything BETTER to do?
- Why not just create another million dollar homepage?
- It will expose a lot of SEO relationships
A few reasons it might be good:
- It MAY bring to light how SE’s handle new queries
- Someone gets some good exposure
- New SEO’s may get to have their ego’s stroked
- It gives older SEO’s something new to bitch about
I’m sure there are other pros and cons, but this has really been beat to death already in my humble opinion. Good luck to all the players, and to those egging them on.