Online marketing information can change quickly This article is 8 years and 333 days old, and the facts and opinions contained in it may be out of date.
How long will it be “cool” to be a blogger? When will bloggers 15 megabytes of fame be out of disk space? I’ve finally started to come to terms with the fact that I’m a blogger. I’m really not that excited about it. There’s honestly not a whole lot of blogs that I like compared to the billions out there, and for the longest time I tried to refrain from even using the “b-word” on this site. Anyhow, I’ll keep my self-loathe for being a blogger realization for another time, and truly turn into “one of them”. Not only that, if I’m goin’ down, you’re comin’ with me. I’m gonna make it too easy for you to NOT start a blog at least to reach your customers and have a place for a “one to many” dialogue.
As reluctant as I am to admit it because of the “everyone’s doin’ it” vibe around blogs, they are potentially a very positive tool for your business or website. They are an alternate means of generating traffic, and the readership is definitely on the rise by making it easier for people to read them with things like myYahoo, bloglines, and other RSS reader services.
So now that you need yourself a blog so you can whine about your cat, and how cool you are because you’re visiting Europe and “blogging will be light”. Let’s find out how to get one rolling with:
Creating a blog
- WordPress – My personal favorite creation software. Provides a ton of functionality through plugins and is free!
- Video tutorial on setting up a wordpress blog and making it SEO friendly
- Blogger.com – this site was originally created on Blogger’s free service. It’s about as easy as you can get. If you can’t pull off a blogger blog, please don’t bother. WP has some conversion features for if you decide to change later so you retain your content.
- MoveableType – Great system that many top bloggers use. It’s a bit more expensive than free, and I don’t know all that much about it. You can get a hosted version setup for you though if your coding skills suck like mine at typepad.
- Weblogs.us – Free wordpress hosting
- Audioblog.com – shared with me by Amanda Watlington at one of the shows. I signed up, but still haven’t really tried it out much yet. Looks like a cool service.
- More blog software – if you really have to be different
Civicspace – a variation of Drupal, which would probably be my favorite if I had any coding skills at all. Awesome features, and combines the best of blogs and forums
Upgrading/Improving a blog
- WordPress Plugins
- Meyerweb WP plugins and hacks
- WP plugins competition
- Mod Rewrite for WP – built into 1.5 to make it super simple. Go to “options” –> “permalinks”, and you can generate the code for you .htaccess file to make pretty urls.
- More WP plugins
- WP templates
- WP Guides
- MovableStyle – MT templates
- Blogger templates
- More Blogger templates
- Haloscan – trackback and comments for Blogger
- Freetag – open source tag generator
- Ultimate tag warrior – thanks to Mike the wordpress wizard.
- Feedshot – free blog submission service
- List of sites to ping with updates
- Getting blog traffic w/o the SE’s by Rae **WMW Supporter’s forum
- Top blog directories
Just for fun: Blogger terminology