Online marketing information can change quickly This article is 8 years and 300 days old, and the facts and opinions contained in it may be out of date.
Notes by Admin:
I tried to stop him, but Mr. Ploppy got hold of a bottle of absinthe over the weekend and it’s been all bad mojo since then. He insisted on releasing this post despite asking him not to. He claims that he is just playing with these tools so he knows what he is up against, and I actually believe him because in his current state he probably wouldn’t have the mental capacity to use them anyhow. I urge you NOT to try these tools (or absinthe for that matter). Mr. Ploppy and those like him give folks that practice honest SEO a bad name.
There is a funny paradox that has evolved in SEO. SEO “ethics” have actually become a “unique selling point” rather than just standards. Is it less ethical to use cutting edge techniques that are not consistent with search engine terms of service than it is to take on a client that is in an industry that utilizes “darker hat” techniques in order to be competitive? Personally, I would probably not do either, but I like knowing what I’m up against if I take on a client in the mortgage, finance, supplements, metro travel, or high competition arenas. I want to be able to identify and diagnose the use of “blackhat tools”. There are a variety of techniques that are used in these areas that does not abide by the SE terms of service (though they often go un-noticed). Since, by virtue of BEING an SEO I will not fill out a spam report on a competitor, I want to know that I can beat a site with “legitimate” techniques, not take on the game at all, or start an affiliate program so someone else can do all the dirty work for me ;). Managing client expectations appropriately is definitely key to being successful. Taking 2k per month and telling someone they will rank for “home loans” in 6 month is *much* less ethical than spamming search engines in my mind. As the now oft quoted adage goes “Don’t bring a knife to a gunfight.”
Hmm, what was that quote from a Yahoo rep who shall remain nameless, about you not wanting to take a sword to a gunfight? IE, don’t expect white hat may work in an area heavily black hat. Perhaps, but I’d still like you to learn swordplay before handing over that assault rifle. You’re likely to hurt fewer people, plus you probably won’t blow your own foot off as fast :)” – Danny Sullivan from here.
Please don’t blow your feet off kids
Content Spam Tools
- LJ Markov Random Text Generator
- WidgetBaiting from StrangeLogic
- Auto Computer Science Paper Generator
- Nonsense Generator
- Constant Content
- Content Samurai
- Article Equalizer
- Yahoo Creative Commons search
- Google News RSS Converter
*Question to self…I wonder where the line for content spam will be drawn…perhaps at a 8th grade reading level?
- Kloakit – Great IPLists and only $50!
- Fantomaster – The most well known name in cloaking
- IPlists – for DIY’ers
- Detect user agent cloaking
- Detect user agent cloaking with firefox
- More Cloaking Tools at DMOZ
- Cloaking and the big picture
- WmW Cloaking Forum
- Q and A with Fantomaster
- Maybe Cloaking *is* okay
- Is Cloaking still worth the effort?
- Newbie cloaking primer
Link Spamming Tools
- The Blog Spam Tools Aaron mentioned are both gone, but I’m sure there are plenty more available
- Sorry, you’re gonna have to dig for ‘em, I don’t really want to incur the wrath of whitehat bloggers
Other Blackhat Tools
More Resources on Blackhat Tools and Search Engine Spam
- SE Spam papers
- Search Engine Spam Workshop
- Remember the 10 commandments of spam by Claus
- Blackhat SEO
- Automation Heaven – Button Pusher Tools Wishlist
- Spammer techniques that work (circa 2003)
- S.P.A.M. – Sites Positioned Above Mine
- The Unwritten Rules of SEO – Spam reports and you
- What do you mean by spam?
- Button Pushing Tools you’ve seen and wished for
- Blackhat PPC management
- Sued for blackhat SEO?
- Blackhat, whitehat, and lots of gray
- Low, medium, and high risk SEO tactics
- Whitehat vs. blackhat, it is all bs
- How to avoid being caught when cloaking