Online marketing information can change quickly This article is 11 years and 157 days old, and the facts and opinions contained in it may be out of date.
There are so many opportunities for small businesses to thrive on the web. In some instances, it gives a small company the opportunity to be a global operation, in others it just helps them to be found be potential regional customers like myself who still have the yellow pages sitting on their front porch. If you’ve ever purchased or heard the pricing for yellow page ads, it’s REAL easy to justify pulling a few dollars from the old YP’s and putting it into an online local search.
For a small business owner to understand and utilize the web, they just need to be pointed in the right direction. Here are the directions. Firstly, understand that the majority of local internet listings come from only a few different sources. Get into the sources, and you will trickle down to the other areas. I spoke with an intern from my old company who got his two man web design company listed in the G local listings for “Bay City Web Design”, and I’m sure this will pay off nicely for him now that he’s on top of the serps from just a small bit of effort. Here are the sources (in PDF format) to get listed in. More on how to do so below. Be sure to try to get searcher targeted keywords and the best possible location into your listings. “Search Optimization” probably even started before the folks who were “AAAA Legal Team” to be found first in the yellow pages. Understand the rules and use them to your advantage.
Local Search Engine Marketing Tools
- A great guide on local search marketing
- Yahoo Free Local 5 page website
- Google Local Business Center
- SuperPages Free Business Listings
- InfoUSA Add/Change listing
- Axiom – Add/Update your business listing -How to change an Axiom listing
- True Local Listings
- Start small with geo-targeted Adwords – in a specialized local market it is like shooting fish in a barrel -You can generate some keyphrases here
- Local PPC keyword combination generator
- Yahoo Local Search Marketing
- Who powers who in local search courtesy of Brad Geddes aka ewhisper
- WmW Local Search forum – some definite nuggets to be found here
- Aaron W. talks local search at Ducttapemarketing.com – (Mp3 file)